The Cross House
So, continuing the Great Wood Refinishing Drama!
I think (hope) the drama is now over. I think. I hope.
Today I finished one section:
I used denatured alcohol to “liquify” the original shellac on all the door trim. You can see the result at the top, horizontal piece of trim.
Then I used one coat of amber shellac on the vertical piece of trim to the right. I did not shellac the base or bottom trim piece.
You can see how the new shellac darkened the trim. Just enough. I think the results look good. Indeed, I am thrilled. In person the trim clearly looks vintage but, well, fresh, too.
Shellac darkens over time. So the VERY dark brown (black in some light) trim I inherited in 2014 does not look like it did in 1894. The VERY dark brown is the result of age and dirt.
And I have many miles of VERY dark brown to renew.