The Cross House
A very brief history of the Cross House:
1894: Harrison and Susan Cross build the Cross House, which was completed in March. The couple had occupied a house previously on the site, which they had relocated to 624 Cottonwood (no longer extant). While the Cross House was being built the couple occupied a house just to the south of the site (516 Union; extant). In September, 1894, Mr. Cross died (six months after the Cross House was finished).
1902: Mrs. Cross dies. The Cross House, by the terms of her will, is deeded to Fred Newman, acting as a trustee for Mary Cross, the granddaughter of Harrison and Susan Cross.
1907: Newman sells the Cross House.
1907 – 1928: The Cross House went through a succession of owners and uses including a stint as a tea room open to the public. During this period the adjacent carriage house was sold off (about 1921) as a separate dwelling.
1929: Scout Mouse, Sr., purchased the house, and converted it into apartments.
1950: Scout Mouse, Jr., converted the house into the Palace Motel.
1960: The house was purchased by Frank and Ester Toms, and used as a fraternity, boarding house, etc.
1993: The house was purchased by Harry W. Thompson.
1999: The house, now boarded up and surrounded by a six-foot-high chain-link fence, was purchased by Debbi and Bob Rodak, and converted back into a single-family home.
2002: The Rodak’s were able to reaquire the carriage house, separated from the Cross House for a century.
2011: Bob Rodak successfully had the Cross House placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
2014: The Cross House, and carriage house, were purchased by Ross MacTaggart.