America Needs You

This is a political post. If you are interested, please scroll down.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I’m afraid for my country.

And I’m not alone.

Trump promised to Make America Great Again. Yet, since his election, the economy has collapsed, over 100,000 have died (and counting) from a virus Trump spent months downplaying, riots have erupted across the land, and unemployment has skyrocketed to Great Depression levels.

Oh, and police officers are still murdering black citizens in broad daylight.

And, last night, Trump had peaceful protesters tear-gassed so he could do a photo-op. A fucking photo-op. Earlier in the day Trump essentially told governors across the land to kill protesters. And, just before that, Trump had a private conversion with…Putin.

So, rather than protect American citizens, as he is sworn to do, Trump is harming us. To repeat: rather then protect us, Trump is harming us.

I’m afraid for my country.

 

Trump has, of late, been demonizing antifa, and tweeted: “The United States of America will be designating ANTIFA as a Terrorist Organization.”

A lot of people don’t even know what Antifa is. It’s short for anti-fascist. Meaning, Trump is now demonizing every single person who fought in WWII, you know, that war we fought to destroy fascism?

Trump also seems to think that antifa is an organization. It’s not. It doesn’t exist as an organization. It has no CEO, no headquarters, and no employees. No one can join antifa. Rather, antifa is simply anybody against fascism. Because I support democracy and my country, I am, therefor, antifa. If you support democracy and your country, you, too, are antifa.

So why is Trump angry about anybody working to resist fascism? I think the answer is obvious: Look at Trump’s words and actions. They are the words and actions of a wanna-be fascist dictator. Looks at the leaders Trump most admires across the globe: All fascist dictators.

I’m afraid for my country.

 

William Barr is our Attorney General. Well, not our. He is, as is obvious from his words and actions, acting as Trump’s personal attorney. This is so very very very profoundly and disturbingly wrong.

I’m afraid for my country.

 

Tonight, there will be, again, more peaceful protesters. There will also be people rioting and stealing. But note that I separated these two groups. For, the vast majority of people protesting are wholly separate from people rioting. And many of the latter are agent provocateurs, people who deliberately cause violence to further unrest. There are people who want another civil war.

Remember: there are peaceful protesters, and there are people all to happy to incite violence. These are two distinct groups.

 

This is vital:

  1. All this started when a police officer murdered a man.
  2. All this has gotten much much worse as police officers have overreacted.

Yet Trump is blaming the people protesting these atrocities.

 

.

 

.

 

Protestors protected a Target store from rioters. This was repeated across the country.

 

The protesters thrill me. And people across the globe are also protesting what is happening in America, which thrills me.

My fear though is profound as I feel that my country is teetering at the edge of democracy. Trump does not want to be president. He wants to be a dictator. He is supported in this by William Barr and Mitch McConnell.

Trump wants to crush all dissent. Trump wants to crush the media. Trump wants to crush non-white people. Trump wants to crush all oversight of him.

While the polls indicate that Trump will likely lose in November, I’ve zero confidence in the integrity of our voting machines. I am though 100% confident that, should Trump lose in November, he will furiously scream: “It was rigged!” Barr and McConnell will likely back up this claim. So will Fox, likely.

None, of course, will offer any evidence to support such a claim. And Trump supporters will also furiously scream: “It was rigged!”

If this happens, the current unrest in America will look like small potatoes.

So, yea, I’m afraid for my country. Actually, I’m terrified. For, while democracy might right itself, and become ever stronger, America might soon devolve into a full-blown fascist state. All the indicators are now in play.

I think it could go either way at this point. History has shown us, time and time again, how quickly things can totally unravel.

But…but…here’s my hope: There are more good guys than bad, and Trump has never been admired by a majority of the America people. So, if you love democracy, protest. Write letters. Blog. Talk with your family and friends. And, most importantly, VOTE.

VOTE.

Let’s make it overwhelmingly clear: We will not tolerate brutality by those in power. We will not tolerate fascism. Rather, we will embrace diversity, decency, love, joy, equality for all, and democracy.

Make your voice heard. Make your actions matter.

America needs you.

 

.

 

34 Comments

  1. Michael Bazikos on June 2, 2020 at 7:59 pm

    I can’t agree with you. Regarding Antifa. Antifa thugs Thomas Massey and Tom Keenan beat two Marines, calling them racial epithets for being ‘white’. The thugs were white, the Marines were both Hispanic. Journalist Andy Ngo was brutally beaten and robbed by those so-called ‘freedom fighters’. To many of us, these Antifa thugs are modern day Nazis, and their posturing, threats and actual attacks and stalking of victims should frighten you, not warm your heart.

    • Ross on June 2, 2020 at 8:10 pm

      Michael,

      I do not condone violence.

      And, as I wrote, there is NO antifa organization. One can’t join antifa.

      Anita simply means being against fascism.

      I am against fascism. So was every veteran of WWII.

      • Michael J Bazikos on June 2, 2020 at 8:22 pm

        And I am talking about the Antifa that has been in the news, not people of good will who are against fascism. The people who hide their identity behind masks because they don’t want their actions to see the light of day.

        • Ross on June 2, 2020 at 8:31 pm

          Michael, you wrote: “And I am talking about the Antifa that has been in the news”

          Well, the news does a very poor job of reporting the news.

          And, to repeat, there is no such thing as an antifa organization.

    • Miriam R Righter on June 2, 2020 at 9:16 pm

      There is no evidence that the thugs Thomas Massey and Tom Keenan were antifascist “antifa”. I strongly suspect that they were white nationalists/ supremacists using the Antifa name to hide behind. There is no organization to join, so anyway can call themselves that without believing in it.

      • Ross on June 2, 2020 at 9:21 pm

        Thank you, Miriam.

        As I wrote: “The vast majority of people protesting are wholly separate from people rioting. And many of the latter are agent provocateurs, people who deliberately cause violence to further unrest. There are people who want another civil war.

  2. Terri on June 2, 2020 at 8:05 pm

    I agree totally with your post, so do my family, and friends. The Sunday “ clear the way so I can hold a bible up “ was so wrong on so many levels. He showed what a coward he is. Talking to the protesters would have been a great photo opportunity, but he is too narrow minded. Peaceful solutions go farther than showing how hateful people (HE) can be. Many mayors and police are talking to the protesters. Many agree things in this country need to change. Some have marched with the protesters peacefully supporting them. As a leader, Trump isn’t leading. He lets others decide what to do then jumps in to take the credit, even if he has to toss a few supporters under the bus. I too am afraid for my country…

    • Ross on June 2, 2020 at 8:13 pm

      Thank you, Terri.

      I have been deeply inspired by the videos of the National Guard putting down their shields and standing with protestors, and police officers taking a knee with protestors.

      I have a lot of respect for the men and women who protect is. Protect being the operative word.

  3. Victoria Jones on June 2, 2020 at 8:24 pm

    I was appalled when the Republicans nominated trump for presidency. I was even more taken aback when the nation elected him president.

    Conspiracy theories aside. I was scared for our country then.

    Anyone who has ever seen this man on TV or listened to his words in contrast to his actions would surely see him for what he is! Right? Wrong.

    He is such a bully. He only has his own interests in mind and he would rather hate you than know you.

    My life I have been conservative in most of my ideals. But in no way have I ever been a supporter of the man we currently call our president. He is rotten and any good he has ever done was likely not his idea.

    I am scared. I am scared for my family. I am scared for my country. I am scared for the world. I never thought I would see the things I have seen in my almost 40 years of life. The things happening now scare me more than anything I have ever seen.

    • Ross on June 2, 2020 at 8:44 pm

      Nice to meet you, Victoria.

      I know a numbers of Conservatives who have left the Republican party because of Trump.

      You are not alone.

      BIG hug!

  4. Ross on June 2, 2020 at 9:07 pm

    Dan Rather just posted this. I thought it should be posted here:

    The United States is not on the verge of collapse.

    I say this not to minimize the dangers of this moment. They are great.

    I say this not to negate the pain. It is deep.

    I say this not to normalize the injustices. They are real and have been festering for far too long.

    But I have seen this country bend many times. I have seen it face threats from without, and from within. I have seen natural and man-made disasters. I have seen currents of hate. I have seen violence and heartbreak. One of the hallmarks of my time on this planet is I have seen a lot. And what I have also seen is that this country, because of the best spirit of its people, can bend a lot without breaking. And when it rights itself, it often becomes more just, more empathetic, and more resilient.

    Is it bad now? Yes. We’re in trouble: a deadly pandemic combined with the worst economic situation since the Great Depression, mixed with a political crisis that has as part of its core a chaotic, dysfunctional, mean-spirited and divisive Presidency. Our free press, the bulwark of our constitutional freedoms, is under great strain from partisan attacks and a crumbling business model. We see our ideals forsaken on issues from immigration to the climate crisis. We see science denied, and expertise in general accosted.

    Meanwhile our adversaries – mainly Russia but also China and likely others, are using the tactics of psychological warfare to strike at America’s democratic strengths – our diversity, the rule of law, our electoral system. And now, we see violence in our streets ignited by the racial injustices that have undermined our nation since its founding.
    To watch all of this unfolding in real time on television screens, Internet platforms and in newspaper and magazine coverage is, in the minds of many people, to know that the United States that they love and thought they knew is falling apart and plunging toward deep decline, if not disintegration. But what we are also seeing is what many already knew, especially people of color and other marginalized groups.

    America was in need of fixing. It is always in need of fixing. That is both the perils of promise of its journey towards what we hope will be a destiny of a “more perfect union.” Hope, of course, is important but far from sufficient. We also need the energy and ingenuity for action.

    As bad as it is now, there are many times that I have felt more fearful for the future. During World War II, I remember when it felt like Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan could win. The death and destruction of that conflict are far beyond the ability of any human mind to fully comprehend. I remember the Red Scare when it seemed the forces of hate were the vast majority of the nation. I remember the fear of the Cold War, when one finger on a button felt like it could end life on the planet as we knew it. I remember 1968, when there were political assassinations and it seemed like the country was really split between Black and White. I remember all of these times, and many more.

    So what gives me hope now? I see it in the faces of the peaceful protesters and the fearless reporters telling the story. I see a nation that I know, multi-ethnic and multi-racial. I see mobilization and energy. I see an outpouring of love and support for our fellow citizens. I see many with power and privilege in this country refusing to sit on the sidelines. I see that we are celebrating Pride Month in June, and never would have felt that would have been possible. I see that this nation is being convulsed by structural, systemic, legal, and cultural problems that have long been in need of our collective attention. And I see millions of my fellow Americans saying give me a hammer, give me a bandage, give me a ballot, let’s go out there and get to work.

  5. Linda A. on June 2, 2020 at 9:33 pm

    Smart and well said, Dan.

    I cannot even watch or listen to the pompous ass, bigot, white supremist, racist, woman hater, non-Christian (yes, even though he wanted churches to reopen…so he could golf…..yes, even though he can hold up a Bible but may not a have read a word in it), narcissist, lying moron who calls himself President of our United States.

    But!! With as much utter distaste I have for that ego-maniac, I have no respect and as much contempt for the Republican Senators and other cronies who keep drinking the Koolaid and being nothing more than bobble-head freaks who enable and encourage our idiot-in-chief to get away with every low down, despicable manouver he wants. They just keep giving the big, fat baby his bottle. And as Trump says so eloquently with his 7-year-old vocabulary: “That is bad.” Yes!

    We need to VOTE in November to bring sanity, courage, and good consciousness to the Senate and get rid of the “Mad King”.

    • Ross on June 2, 2020 at 9:47 pm

      Thank you, Linda.

      Yes, Trump is enabled by the GOP. They could have stopped this.

      They didn’t.

      But remember: The GOP was all too happy to impeach Bill Clinton…over a blow job. And the GOP was thrilled to go after Hillary over and over and over regarding 4 deaths in Benghazi…while doing nothing about Trump stealing children and putting them in cages, and nothing about tens of thousands of people dying because Trump repeatedly downplayed the danger of Covid.

  6. Cindy Belanger on June 2, 2020 at 9:51 pm

    I too am afraid for our country. I knew nothing good would come of Trumps presidency the day after he was elected. What Trump has done to our country in 3 1/2 years is a disgrace, terrifying. The post from Dan Rather is so true and we really do have to believe there is hope. There are more good people in this country than bad. The police officers that walked & talked with the protesters, Joe Biden talking to protesters while Trump hid in his bunker. The people that showed up to clean up the mess that was made the night before by outside agitators who broke windows & vandalized property. 80% of the protesters that were arrested were from out of state. In some cases paid to come and start violence. Like you said Ross, the boogaloo bois and other white supremacists sent in to make the black protesters look bad. I think the American people will vote Trump out, but November 3rd seems so far away. But everybody needs to get out and VOTE, so we can start healing and make the changes our country so desperately needs.

  7. Karen Spencer on June 2, 2020 at 9:59 pm

    Wow, thank you so much Ross. I have been waiting to hear your voice because I know how you care about decency, and your country. I have followed your heartfelt political comments, posted at spare intervals in times when the country is under great stress.

    I agree with all you say. As Cory Booker just said, we are experiencing a confluence of the 1918 pandemic, the Great Depression and the Civil Rights movement. That’s a lot for a country to deal with at once. And Donald Trump being in office dramatically increases the potential devastation of this perfect storm.

    And yes, he wants to be king and I fear it will be hard to get him out of the White House. But, we will.

    Having grown up in the 60s and 70s, I can not believe We are still fighting for the same racial justice now that we fought for 50 years ago. And for women’s reproductive rights as well.

    The cop…almost 9 minutes with the knee… a demonstration of a deep hatred and lack of respect for a human beings, especially those of color. Horrifying.

    I too, a white woman in Trump’s America, fear for my country.

    Thank you also for the post from Dan Rather. It is important to listen to those who understand and have lived through history. It was uplifting and hopeful.

    I think we needed the paradigm shift we are all going through, getting back to basics, and caring for one another. But it came at such great human cost, the pandemic, the administration and police violence.

    Some of us are writing to President Obama, asking him to come back to the service of his country and lead. He is an intelligent, experienced and respected man and easily could rally many followers for the Democrats.

    Thank you for your voice dear Ross.

    Vote! We CAN be a smarter, peaceful, healthy, accepting, better country.

    • Ross on June 2, 2020 at 10:05 pm

      Karen, I wrote this post because you contacted me, and basically asked that I comment!

      I’ve been avoiding political posts for a while now. I’m not sure why. But they do take a lot out of me.

      Also, with all the horrors going on, I’ve been thinking that happy posts about the big house would be more helpful.

  8. Karen Spencer on June 2, 2020 at 10:25 pm

    Thank you so much for this post Ross. I too have been posting happy images of local baby ducks and geese on Facebook, trying to give people some joy in these tough times.

    But, because I have read your blog for several years, with great joy, I feel I have come to know you, although we have never met. I think I could hear you thinking about this.

    You are a man of great decency.

    Thanks again Ross. And as the Impressions said – We’ve got to Keep on Pushing (1964)

  9. Beth H. on June 3, 2020 at 8:17 am

    You said all that much more eloquently than I could, Ross… but I am TERRIFIED too. I see us rapidly approaching a cliff beyond which all is lost. Societies do fall, empires do collapse, and civilizations have to rebuild themselves from the ground up – sometimes in good ways and sometime in bad. That rebuilding could take more than my kids’ lifetimes. I am terrified for them. They are neither Christian nor white, and they are obviously seen as “other” and “foreign” in this country. I grew up with antisemitic slurs thrown at me from kindergarten through 5th grade (KINDERGARTEN!! just imagine), and it only came to light years later that there were KKK members on the school board where I was going to school during those years. Those 5 year olds calling me a “dirty Yid” were picking that up at home. This was not in the deep South – this was 1960s NY, in a farming community only a couple of hours from NYC. We faced more of that in years after college, when we moved to TX. I am proud to say that my family is extremely ethnically diverse, with Black, Latino and Asian members, and pretty much every religion represented. I even have Mormon cousins in Utah. While I have thought for years that our country was approaching something less racially divided… I guess I was incredibly naive. My sister, whose husband was Black (and a Vietnam vet, now deceased) said for the 34 years of their marriage, they were very cautious in where they went and who they became friends with, and being so careful to keep their property looking the best on the block so nobody could accuse them of anything disgusting. They had sets of neighbors that were very unwelcoming to them as an interracial couple – one neighbor going so far as killing my sister’s dog.

    So yes, I’m terrified – and I’ve begun to lose hope that we’ll have a fair election without the interference that happened with the last one. If he loses, if our votes actually count this time around – will he leave office? Or will he burn the country to the ground in order to keep control? My husband calls me an alarmist, but after hearing Hillary Clinton say as much (he won’t leave willingly) on Rachel Maddow’s show last year, I don’t feel like it’s off-base to worry that the election will spiral us into even more danger.

  10. Diana Lodge on June 3, 2020 at 12:42 pm

    Sorry can’t side with you on this one at all. What happened to George had the whole world watching and what the thugs have done to America and her people is disgusting to say the least.
    Killing people, running over cops, shooting them in the back of the head.
    Trump did more for the minority in this country then any other President before him.
    Record unemployment, lowest food stamps.
    He cannot be blamed for WHO and CCP WHO lied and people died.
    Even the experts he has had with him said nothing to worry about and the pool hit the fan.
    If anyone can bring this country back it is the greatest Present Donald J Trump.

    • Ross on June 3, 2020 at 1:41 pm

      Thank you, Diana, for commenting.

      You absolve Trump of everything. Yet, he’s on record as downplaying COVID-19 all through to the middle of March. You wrote: “Even the experts he has had with him said nothing to worry about and the pool hit the fan.” The evidence proves otherwise.

      You also wrote: “Trump did more for the minority in this country then any other President before him.” Yet, there’s zero evidence to support this, too. While unemployment among Blacks did hit a record low under Trump, this was a trend he inherited from Obama. Under Obama, Black unemployment dropped in half, from 17% to 8%, a decrease of 9 points. This strong trend continued under Trump, reaching 5.5% last fall, a decrease of 2.5 points. The unemployment number is, of course, much higher now.

      What you are doing is simply repeating what Trump says.

      I prefer facts. And there’s a massive gulf between what Trump says and facts. Just Google “Trump lies”.

  11. Diana Lodge on June 3, 2020 at 5:43 pm

    Trump is the only hope this Country has…it really is down to this you dislike our President so you will go with the facts that support that.
    I support our President and there is facts like the support he gave Black college’s, passing the First Step Act, the job rate is because of Trump…there are facts that support that as well but you would probably not believe them.
    Then let’s talk about the virus do you really think the our President would let the economy fail when it was booming? Seriously think about that.
    And Google seriously is proven to be bias you may as well as said CNN said.
    And why any of what happened to George Floyd is political is beyond me a bad cop did a horrible act and now instead of protesters being heard they are being drowned out by thugs who are killing innocent people their lives matter as well.
    My only hope is he brings the National Guard and if he has to the Military to stop this evil before they totally bring down this Country.

    • Ross on June 3, 2020 at 7:46 pm

      Diana, thank you, again, for commenting.

      You wrote: “you dislike our President so you will go with the facts that support that.”

      Well…ahhh…yes! There are tens of thousands of facts about Trump which cause me to dislike him!

      And the “Trump economy” is actually the Obama economy. Obama inherited a destroyed economy from Bush. He then created the longest month-to-month period of economic growth in America. This was a great gift that Trump inherited. But…Trump then created, for example, fewer jobs in his first two years than Obama had in his last two years. And that inherited gift? It’s now in shambles.

      You wrote: “do you really think the our President would let the economy fail when it was booming?”

      The economy has collapsed, in part, because (as I wrote previously) Trump ignored and/or downplayed the dangers of COVID for months. Again, there are plenty of videos on YouTube with time stamps showing Trump doing exactly this. Trump had also previously dismantled the pandemic team created by Obama. Both of these were MAJOR fuck-ups, and contributed negatively upon the economy.

      You wrote: “instead of protesters being heard they are being drowned out by thugs.” In my post, above, I made clear that there are two distinct groups: protesters and rioters. The former are mostly peaceful. The latter are intentionally causing a problem, as I detailed. And in no way do I condone the rioters. I advocate for peace.

      Also, you think raining down overwhelming force, as Trump advocates, is the solution? Well, history has proven, over and over, that this is a terrible idea. For, nothing will enrage good people more than watching other good people be murdered by their own government. See: Kent State. See: Newton’s third law (For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction).

      In cities where the police met with protesters, listened to them, and removed their riot gear, there has been little to no violence. But, when Trump recently tear-gassed peaceful protesters in Lafayette Park? There has been near-universal condemnation. And now people are even angrier. How does this help, Diana?

      You appear to think that facts have a liberal bias. No, facts are facts. They are neither liberal or conservative.

      You wrote: “Trump is the only hope this Country has”. Well, I, and the majority of Americans, think Trump is destroying this country. I’m terrified for my country BECAUSE of Trump (and Barr and McConnell). And I have watched, horrified, as Trump has embraced dictators while spitting on our allies.

      Diana, I worked for Trump in the 1980s. I saw, first hand, him in action, and of his effect on his family and employees. Save his executive assistant, Norma, every employee hated him. He was mean, vicious, and unable to control his temper. His two young sons were afraid of him. During one meeting while Trump Tower was under construction, Trump interrupted Ivanna Trump by saying: “Shut the fuck up, you stupid cunt.” This, in a room full of several dozen people.

      While Trump endlessly praises his success as a businessman, the facts, again, prove otherwise. His career is a long list of economic ruination. Bankrupt companies, bankrupt casinos, and on and on. It’s a long list. And this, Diana, is why American banks have refused to lend to Trump for three decades now. And Trump is now, true to form, destroying America. This has been the pattern of his life.

  12. glenn on June 3, 2020 at 6:46 pm

    Believing Trump was America’s biggest collective mistake, and it’s not like there wasn’t enough evidence out there to tell you what he is, which is an imbecilic, moronic, lunatic, psychotic fraudulent con man. Thanks, Republicans.

    • Diana Lodge on June 3, 2020 at 7:03 pm

      Yeah unlike the totally disgusting Democratic Party that wasted how much money on a fake Russian report to start a fake investigation, with the last administration spying on the next Presidential candidate…I can go on but I will leave it right there you people are fed fake news and you believe because you are brain washed sad fact you will be the party to finish this great country if ever you are allowed power again but thank God people are understanding the evil the is the the Democratic Party peace out

      • Ross on June 3, 2020 at 7:50 pm

        Diana, you wrote: “you people are fed fake news and you believe because you are brain washed.”

        Do you know what projection is?

      • glenn on June 4, 2020 at 6:25 pm

        I’m a Canadian. We would never elect such a failure. And hey, where am I wrong? Trump is human waste, stuffed into a cheap suit.

  13. Terri on June 3, 2020 at 6:56 pm

    Lordy…did you see his press conference in March when a reporter asked him if he had any words of comfort for our nation, and Trump said the reporter was trying to put fear into the public for asking such a question and when the question was repeated he said the reporter was reporting fake news and walked off the podium, never answering the question? I watched it happen.

    I watched when a health advisor said this fall we could be in worse shape due to covid-19 still being here and the fall influenza hitting us too. I watched the next day when that advisor changed what he said so it lined up with Trump’s belief that covid-19 would be gone by April. It’s now June, and the virus is still here with no cure.

    My beliefs aren’t just from what I read, mine are from watching him as a leader. He throws us a bone when he needs to look good, but over all his performance has been crappy. Ohio’s governor did more for our state than Trump did for the country. He reached out to our businesses and asked them to help make PPEs for Ohioans, then for surrounding states. If DeWine decided to run for president, I’d vote for him (even though he’s a republican and I’ve vote mostly for Democrats).((DeWine was on the news in the UK for being so awesome❤️)) Trump let the states fend for themselves, because he ignored advice. By the way, when he was in China right before covid-19 hit the states, do you think he knew it was coming? I think he did. Still he didn’t get us ready for it. He did cut funding to our CCD before covid-19 raised it’s ugly head (unnessessary funds spent on it so cuts were made)

    I do respect your right to believe what you want, support who you want, and live as you want. Your opinions are yours, my Opinions are mine. Most of mine are formed from watching Trump’s press conferences.

    • Ross on June 3, 2020 at 7:57 pm

      Thank you, Terri.

  14. Pamela on June 5, 2020 at 7:21 am

    I am with you Ross. I appreciate what Karen said. I need to hear from you too. When you speak politically you know what you are talking about and you, like many of us, form your opinion from reading and listening widely. It is clear right in this posting why speaking out like this takes so much from you but many of your long time readers really appreciate how you put the facts into perspective.

    • Ross on June 5, 2020 at 9:07 am

      Thank you, Pamela.

  15. john feuchtenberger on June 5, 2020 at 10:32 am

    Ross, the calm, moderate answers you give to, ah, immoderate responses are tributes to your patience and attempts to show more light, less heat.

    Godwin’s Law always looms over discussions of these fraught subjects, and principled refusal to name-call is exemplary.

    I am in business with, related to, and go to church with folks I like and love who ignore the Biblical admonition “Put not your trust in princes,” and bite my tongue rather than fuss (though I am not silent.) I think frequently of the great (immigrant) German-American Carl Schurz: “My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right.”

  16. tura wolfe on June 5, 2020 at 9:16 pm

    It is good we have Democrats and Republicans. We in this wonderful country have the right to disagree. We have the right of freedom of speech. We have the right to vote for who we want to be our President. We can go over the issues each and every day together and listen to this one and that one giving out the news. We can and will think as we think right. And that is as it should be. Amen. I do not discuss politics or religion as there is no end to the debate. So, I do not want to do battle over what I think about God and what is right for me and my very much loved country. My one held on to long and fast conviction is no matter if I voted for or did not vote for the man the country voted to make our current President, I will not disrespect the man. I will not disrespect the office of the President of the United States of America. There is always another four year term just around the corner to go out an vote for the person of your choice.

    God bless each and everyone of you.
    God bless the office and the chair in the oval office of the President of the United States of America.
    God bless the United States of America.

    • Ross on June 5, 2020 at 9:44 pm

      Thank you, Tura, for your thoughts.

      I agree with much of what you wrote. For example, because I support diversity, I also support America having political diversity. As such, I support having Independent, Republican, and Democratic parties. Green, too. And, if a Kitty Party appears, I will support (and join!) this party.

      I must disagree, strongly, about respect. As is often said, respect is earned not given. I agree with this. So, I will not respect a president who clearly does not respect his/her position and office by calling people names all the time (like a child), endlessly attacking the media, demonizing minorities, threatening his political opponents, endlessly lying to the American people, ignoring his health, security, and environmental advisors, demonizing our security agencies like the CIA and FBI, stealing children and locking them up, spitting on our long-term allies while playing kissy with despotic dictators, appointing people to head agencies that serve HIM rather than the American people, and, well, the list is pretty endless. Trump has done all of this. Rather than respect him and the office, I recoil in horror. Horror. I also experience deep grief.

      By contrast, Obama did none of this. NONE OF THIS. As such, he earned my respect even though I often disagreed with him.

      Put another way, should the people of Germany, particularly the Jews of Germany, have automatically respected the German chancellor in the 1930s and early 1940s?

      • tura wolfe on June 6, 2020 at 6:56 am

        Ross, we do agree to disagree. Many things, many Presidents living and dead have done are good and some are bad, but I do not choose to lynch the office of the President of the United States of America. I honor the President and I do mean who ever is President at any given time, we the people elected the man to the office. As history shows us the man in the office changes in a regular timely way as to who is the President. Only FDR served three terms hiding his handicap and that fact is ok by me.. I do not compare Obama to Trump, FDR to JFK, Andrew Jackson to Thomas Jefferson, George Washington to Bill Clinton, Lincoln to Truman, and so on down the President list of names. I do not know or care who was what party. Recently, looking over the President names and picture list the achievement/discredit historicity are as varied the hair cuts or the noses. Their pictures are more and most interesting as a group. Each one served as President did some good, made some mistakes, did what they could for our country, all the while being a human.

        As I grew up it was the dream of every little boy and girl to be THE PRESIDENT. The USA is the best place on earth to live. I do believe we have a system of government in our country that works for the people, of the people, and by the people. I do not believe Germany had that same kind of government.

        All of my 75 years, I have been forced to listen to the Democrats and Republicans in my family living the same debate that is going on here, sometimes loud and heated to a real fight of words, refusing to speak to each other over what ever it was at the time that drove their passion. As always, if you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem. Go run for office. See how you like being judged by all. See if you can make things better. I dare each an everyone of my family to rise up to be President. See if it works for you. For sure some will love you, as others will hate you. My Grandfather talked about his Grandfather and his Father’s fear in the Civil War. My Grandfather’s Father ran off to the war when he was 9 years old, just a little boy. My Grandfather talked about his fear growing up dirt poor, being a river boat gamble to get his seed money, being in the first world war, owning a Gulf gas station and grocery store during the depression, fear of being robbed by Bonnie and Clyde. We know from history there will always be fear. There….. will….. always….. be….. fear. Being a human and living life has never been easy. Fear will always be with us. Remember FDR saying ….. We have nothing to fear, but fear it’s self.

        Going to school from grade 7 to 12, I rode the public bus system. I always sat in the back of the bus with the black people. If a black lady got on the bus and had to stand as no seats were empty, I got up and gave her my seat. The black people on the bus looked at me as if I were crazy or just plain stupid, they did not dare a smile. They got use to me after some time, after all I did this on that bus route for 6 years. They accepted me with no words spoken and that was a good lesson in human behavior. Then, I took another public bus to college. The whole thing started all over. Just a side note, that my Mother rode that first bus route to work every day where I passed her by as she sat in the front of the bus and I sat in the back. She did turn at first to look at me but we never talked about my decision to sit in the back. I believe all lives matter….black, red, yellow, green, purple, blue, and white. I believe that the punishment should fit the crime. I know it is wrong of me, but I would like to see on noon time and 6 pm TV that white police officer (all four officers involved) with a knee to his throat for 8/9 minutes and 3 knees down his back. I cried as I watch the murder on TV. I cry now as I type. I would like to see quick, deadly, public punishment to all that kill/abuse people, children, and animals.

        Ross, I do hope this venting is good for your soul. Perhaps, you might want to think were you could put all your energy to do something for your country other than debate. The debate will be going on long after you and I are gone to Florida. I think you would make a most just and honorable Governor of the great state of Kansas. You are a sure win.

Leave a Comment





Your email address will NEVER be made public or shared, and you may use a screen name if you wish.