An attack of YIKES!
So, what looks fine from the ground proves a disaster up close. It is fascinating just how beat-up the south facade is, as the other three facades were all in vastly better condition.
The only good news is that the shingles surrounding the window seem to be in good condition (and all seem part of the 2005 work).
Ideally, the entire double arched window should be taken apart and removed. A new sill should be made. The double-arched upper trim should be replaced. A new arched drip cap should be made. New arched crown should be made. And all these materials should either be pressure-treated or PVC.
I can patch and repair, as was done in 2005. And this will look good…for awhile. My default position however is to Do It Right but this will be weeks and weeks of work.
The scaffolding was erected two days ago, and when I realized just how bad everything was I just closed my eyes, held tight to the handrail, and felt faint. The grant deadline was looming looming looming and my only option was clear: slap some paint on this mess. However, yesterday I was given the OK to amend the grant so painting the third floor is now exempt!
My current plan is to walk away from this mess until the fall when the weather get cooler, then take the window apart and Do It Right.
Your email address will NEVER be made public or shared, and you may use a screen name if you wish.