The Cross House

COUNTDOWN!!!!!!!!!!

10

 

 

 

 

 

 

9

 

 

 

 

 

 

8

 

 

 

 

 

 

7

 

 

 

 

 

 

6

 

 

 

 

 

 

5

 

 

 

 

 

 

4

 

 

 

 

 

 

3

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

2

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1

 

Restoring the sash was relatively easy, and this was done ages ago.

What has taken a lot of time was creating a new sill. The original was profoundly rotted.

In 1894, when the sill was first installed, it was part of the entire frame, and all this was certainly pre-assembled on a work table, and then the whole “box” set in place.

Then, 124-years later, taking out the rotted sill was easy, but getting a new sill back in place was not. And the new sill also had to be beveled and mortised and planed, first.

But…all is well now, and the new sill is pressure-treated so that 124-years from now somebody will not be cursing that they have to replace a rotted sill.

 

21 Responses to COUNTDOWN!!!!!!!!!!

  1. (Everyone please remember to click on the picture – you can’t truly take in the magnificence of the eye brow window until it’s enlarged in context).

  2. I remember driving by the Cross house in 2012 admiring how grand It was. You are doing an incredible job and exceeding my imagination as to how it would look when restored. I’m in love with the color choices which I had some doubts about at first. Can hardly wait to see everything completed. I know it will be worth the wait!

  3. It really is truly magnificent. I’m floating on a pink cloud of content looking at this, so I can only imagine how you feel, Ross.

  4. I have a question; was there a point when you first started painting the house where you became panic-stricken as to whether your color choices would look good? I know you were in quandary about replicating the original colors, but did you ever worry that the original colors might turn out to look like…crap? I have spent the entire weekend painting, and I love the color choices we made, which are very close to the original paint colors, but yesterday evening I stood back, looked at my work, and panicked. What if it is too much? Too much color, too much green…would people refer to it as “Kermit’s house”? I’ve come too far to change colors now, I just hope my initial choices were right…

    • Hi, Mike!

      No, I have never been panic-stricken about my color choices.

      Last year though I did realize that I was playing it too safe, so embarked on an “enhancement” program to subtly jazz things up. THRILLED with the results.

      • Thank you for your encouragement! I convinced my wife that we should go with the original 1886 siding color (mint green); the original trim was plum, but we went with a dark sage green. Since I got my way on those two, I conceded my dark chocolate accent color to my wife’s dark red. We will be done in a bout 3 weeks, so I will know then if I was right or wrong. If it looks bad, then we can change colors next time we do this…in 12-15 years LOL

  5. What a tease, Ross, making me scroll all the way to the bottom of the page to see that beautiful window. Anyway, what a cool little project! its the little details that really count.

Leave a Reply to Mary Jane Mock Cancel reply

Your email address will NEVER be made public or shared, and you may use a screen name if you wish.