Making My Own Built-In Gutter!
In 2015, I had the built-in gutters of the Cross relined with some space-age white goop.
And, presto, the gutters stopped leaking!
As time however would soon prove, my excitement was…premature. For, while the gutters did indeed no longer leak, several areas of gutter simply allowed water to cascade over their edges. And this caused massive damage over the decades.
When the gutters were installed in 1894 there’s no doubt that all were perfectly sloped to facilitate water running downhill, so to speak. But, old houses settle. And this caused some gutters to droop. Meaning, that water which was intended in 1894 to flow, say, to the west was now flowing to the east. With no downspout on the east end, water would fill the gutter and cascade over the huge cornice.
Over many decades, the water spilling over the gutter and down the big cornice totally rotted everything below: the siding, sheathing, framing, the huge frame of the double kitchen window, and even the sill of the house. I fixed all this in 2014.
I have known about this problem for several years but only now have managed to repair the problem.
I made the whole thing out of bits of metal and rivets. Then I painted it all with the space-age goop. I look forward during the next storm to see it in action.
There are three more gutter areas that need such work but, now that I have done one, the rest should be easier.
I feel quite Spartacus-like!
Your email address will NEVER be made public or shared, and you may use a screen name if you wish.