The Cross House
Two posts previously I was freakin’ out man.
Now I am chillin’, man.
This was my concern two posts previously:
ABOVE: I had started to refinish the trim and ended up with wood WAY lighter than I had intended. So, yea, FREAK OUT!
After some most excellent advice from readers and friends, I did this:
ABOVE: You are looking at three coats of amber shellac, top. The vertical trim piece to the right is still bare (no shellac).
The shellac was effortless. And the trim got darker. I am happy with the look, although suspect it is lighter than it would have been in 1894.
So, no sure thing, yet.
On the door trim to the library (on the adjacent wall), I tried a different technique:
ABOVE: Here, I did not use paint stripper as previously, but denatured alcohol. This did not make the trim as light. Tomorrow I will put on a few coat of shellac. This will darken the trim. And I suspect that the effect will be just right.
If so, a big WHEW.