I did a previous post about “the Snake”, an absurdly long and convoluted A/C duct to the Round Bedroom.
I went to some effort in changing a bend in the Snake to help assure maximum air flow. To this end, I had to take up the just installed subfloor of the north stair landing. Then after more effort than I had thought possible, I was, indeed, able to make a better bend. And the north subfloor was then re-re-installed.
And it could be presumed that that was that.
A few weeks ago I realized that I could tame the Snake even more. Dramatically so. But this would mean taking up, for a second damn time, the newly installed north subfloor. But my mind then entered into a tug-of-war. Part of me wanted to Do The Right Thing. Another part of me was emphatic: Fuck the snake! Just finish!
Long-time readers of this blog will know the results of this tug-of-war.
This WAS the 90-degree turn of the Snake. And air flow hates 90-degree turns.
So, I expended an absurd amount of time/energy in making things just a tiny but better. It is difficult to see in the image though that the snake also drops down. This is more obvious…
…here, at the west landing. The snake drops BELOW the triple joists to the right. Then the snake goes back up….
…when it reaches the north vestibule. So, up and down and up and down and over and around. All something which air flow HATES. In addition, having the Snake drop down below the ceiling joists meant that I had to lower the ceiling in the stairhall niche. Which I then had to dismantle to redo, again, the Snake.
Repeat: this WAS the Snake. And now?
THIS is the snake. I ruthlessly cut through the triple joists (bottom), which I belatedly realized were redundant after I added, last year, a massive structural beam in the entry hall. This allowed me to greatly smooth out the 90-degree turn of the Snake, AND I no longer had to drop the Snake down below the joists! And THIS means I can remove the just-installed dropped ceiling in the niche below!!!!!!!! So, the niche will, in the end, retain its original 10-foot ceiling height!
Again, this is the SECOND iteration of the Snake at the west landing.
And Snake 3.0!!!!!!!! At this point however my brain was ready to explode.
Brain be dammed though! Because there was still work to do! I now had to install a sub-floor (I had already TWICE installed sub-flooring on the north landing. But I had not yet installed sub-flooring on this, the west landing). All the sub-flooring on the landings comprise TWO layers. In 1894, the first sub-floor layer was laid diagonally. In 2018, this would actually be an ideal way to bridge the absurdly convoluted joist framing of the west landing necessitated by the Snake.
And done!!!!!!!!! And my 61-one-year-old body was BEAT by this effort. Pulverized. Destroyed.
No matter, because I still had to add the second layer of sub-floor. However, this took thirty-minutes as opposed to the three hours of the diagonal first layer.
But…oopsies. The second layer of sub-floor (bottom) did not align with the original second layer (top). There was like an 1/8-inch difference (the original layer being higher). No matter! I hauled out my trusty electric planer and gently angled the original layer down to meet, with grace, the new layer.
Just before I installed the second layer of sub-floor, I realized that I had to add my name and date to the first layer! I just had to!
After finishing this posterity moment, I then had a quite wicked thought: An addendum.
CAVEAT: If you don’t like politics, don’t scroll down…
Yes, I am entirely wicked.
All this effort has been beyond exhausting. And easily the MOST ridiculous I have expended on the Cross House to date. I did work. I then undid work. I then did work again. Then undid work. And on and on and on.
Still…I feel…good. Really good. For, I did the right thing. I did the work right.
And, critically, every time I walk over the west landing during the years/decades to come, I will smile knowing:
- The Snake WAS tamed.
- I left something wicked for posterity. A legacy I am proud of.