Reshingling the south second-floor was part of the 2017 Heritage Trust Grant.
It was a $6,200 line item, and this low price reflected that the work was estimated to be relatively minor.
In red, you can see numbers 1-4. These were the areas of missing shingles. The plan was to simply infill these areas. But, once the scaffolding was erected in the SE corner, it quickly became clear that an anthill was actually a mountain, and that a $6,200 line item would balloon into like $40,000 worth of work.
The SE corner before work began. You can see some missing shingles to the left. Hey! No biggie! Oops! While the shingles looked OK from the ground they proved, in actuality, incredibly fragile and could be easily removed by hand. So, I thought, I will just take them off and re-nail each one! No biggie! Oops.
For, under the shingles proved rotted sheathing and rotted framing.
At the inside corner, there should have been 2×6 framing studs. There were none, having long ago rotted out due to issues with the built-in gutter above. Oops.
And the huge window?
It and the small bathroom window were also rotted. Oops. They had to be removed and rebuilt.
New pressure-treated sill and new PVC trim.
New sheeting and rebuilt bathroom window. The sashes were also restored (part of the 2017 grant, too).
Every single new shingle needed to be cut to width, and half needed to have a half-round bottoms. Every single new shingle.
Bit by bit came the slow, tedious work of re-shingling.
Bit bit bit by bit bit bit.
The scaffolding became quite…insane.
There were also unanticipated repairs to the huge cornice. Oops. And the unpainted cornice (top of image) proved damaged from the 1999 fire and needed a lot of work. Then the built-in gutter to the servant’s hall (not pictured) had to be rebuilt as it had settled and was pouring water INTO the house (oops) rather than AWAY.
AFTER. It looks like all I did was paint!
After finishing the SE corner, I needed a break from the endless shingling. So, time was spent on another Heritage Trust line item: restoring/replacing the last eight columns. Unlike the shingling, which was soul-draining, the column project was joyful.
With the columns done, sadly, the shingles on the main south facade could no longer be ignored. Even after the disturbing experience with the SE corner I was desperately hoping to just infill as required. This proved, sigh, a great big oops.
With the scaffolding affording a close-up view, these shingles also proved a mess. They were barely hanging on and would flap in the wind, like a pianist on a keyboard.
So, bit by bit, they all came off. Every last friggin’ shingle.
As with the big window in the SE corner, new computer-crimped drip caps were installed.
More crazy scaffolding. Note how the huge cornice is also being restored.
AFTER. Done!!!!!!!! Again, it looks like all I did was paint! The clear-glass windows on the south facade, and most of its stained-glass windows, were also restored as part of the 2017 Heritage Grant.
The giant oops of the south facade is a danger all old house owners know. You think: Oh! This will just be a weekend project! Then………..a year later the work is completed.
Even though I have decades of experience restoring old houses, I was nonetheless shocked by how a no-biggie line item transformed into a titanic-sized project. What fooled me were the west, north, and east facades as each was in remarkable condition for a house in its 13th decade. So, I just assumed…