The Cross House
I have not posted anything in five days. This is the longest stretch of time with no new posts since I started this blog 2-1/2-years ago.
For, the events of the week have totally stunned, overwhelmed, depressed, and powerfully angered me.
So, I mostly just shut down.
Today though I knew that I could not live like this. I had to do something positive, something which uplifted me. Something which, in my own very tiny way, made the world just a bit better.
I thus called forth all my willpower, and demanded that we get something done, dammit.
My willpower came out of hiding after sucking its thumb for three days, while being curled up in a fetal position, and graciously, courageously obliged.
And Willpower is pleased to present:
The other tower windows were restored and installed two years ago. But the sashes to the fifth window were nowhere to be found. Then, in the Aladdin’s Cave of the Cross House basement, I found the lower sash. Where though was the upper sash? Many months later I found three pieces of wood, which were obviously from a window sash, and could only be the missing upper sash to the missing #5 window of the tower. The three pieces appeared to all go together, but where was the fourth piece? Many months later I found it! Many months later I had the sash reglued/doweled, and many months later the glazing had finally dried enough to paint the sashes. And today, Willpower said: Install the sashes! And Ross did as commanded.
I set to work on yet another window sash from the upper-most reaches of the round tower. There are five windows way up there, comprising ten sashes total. Never in all recorded history have there ever been sashes which looked SO bad as these ten miserable specimens did. My God. Because the sashes are WAY up in the air, they, not surprisingly, received little attention during the last 120-years. Well, I should clarify that. While they received little EXTERIOR attention they did receive a great deal of INTERIOR attention. And none of this attention was good. The windows obviously allowed air to blow freely into the top level, and it is also obvious that decades and decades of freezing top-level residents tried anything and everything to seal the damn windows. So, I encountered copious amount of caulk dating back to before I was born, massive amounts of glue (now petrified), old rags interspersed with glue/caulk, old toilet paper interspersed with glue/caulk, and some sort of rock-hard reddish resin wholly unidentifiable but likely from the planet Krypton (as no such substance could possibly be of Earth), which had to be chiseled off (I kid you not). Then, there were also layers and layers of paint globbed on all this. Oh, and the glass was impressively dirty.
The sashes seemed certain candidates for the dumpster, but….but…when you own a house on the National Register of Historic Places you cannot be casual about tossing original bits away. Plus, well, I, ah, umm, get…excited about this kind of challenge. And what a challenge! I mean, what a thrill if these horrible, disgusting, and disturbing bits could be returned to their original condition. The satisfaction would be great indeed.
So, after the wood was coaxed into a condition which could, no doubt, be presented to The Queen without even a hint of embarrassment or social faux pax, I was able to reset the old glass and commence with glazing.
And today, the five windows of the 1894 tower of the Cross House, are officially reborn.
As I drove home, I could not recall what had been previously troubling me so much.