The Cross House has received two Heritage Trust Fund grants which have allowed work on the exterior which I otherwise would have been unable to fund.
This work has largely determined my project schedule since the summer of 2015. The 2017 grant work is already behind schedule because the work anticipated has been profoundly impacted by the reality of the work required, mostly involving the repair work to the shingles of the south facade.
When I wrote the 2017 grant, I thought the shingling was, well, not that big of a deal, mostly requiring the infill of missing shingles.
Not. Soooooooo not.
Right away, the SE corner proved a unanticipated, never-ending nightmare. Once the scaffolding was erected, and once I was able to get really up close, and once I was able to ascertain conditions under the shingles, all Hell broke lose. Rather then do some minor infilling, I removed all the shingles in the SE corner, had to replace large sections of sheathing, replace rotted framing, rebuild two window frames, replace most of the window trim, and custom-cut every single new shingle. Remember?
Most of the damage to the SE corner was caused by long-term issues with the built-in gutters. These issues have now been addressed.
In moving to the main south second-floor wall, there is another issue. Almost twenty-years-ago, all the paint was removed from the shingles. This is good. But the shingles were not then painted or even primed. This is bad. Very bad. Because, for almost two decades now, the south sun has brutalized the wood shingles.
The entire south wall of shingles is highly damaged AND barely attached. So, not only are the shingle brutalized by the sun, they have somehow come loose. Almost every one stands proud of the shingle under it. They should fit together tight.
This ain’t good!
Because I am so behind schedule, I have been fretting about all this. Part of me has thought: Just infill as required and move on. Part of me has thought: Remove all the shingles and do things right.
I know, y’all will think: Ross will, of course, choose the latter! The time pressure though has been making me think of taking the former rather than latter approach. I know! Who is this guy?
I could simply pound a zillion finish nails into the brutalized shingles and this would, in a sloppy way, solve the detached problem. But you cannot properly disk sand shingles when they are attached. No, ideally, they get removed; intact shingles can be turned around and easily sanded.
Thus, while looking at the above image (good to the right; bad to the left) I knew that I could only live with one option: Do It Right.
I will remove ALL the south wall shingles. Hopefully I will not discover massive damage to the sheathing, framing, and window frames. Pray for the house!
The really hard part will be to create some kinda mapping system so I can put oddly cut shingles (against the big arch for example) back in their original location. This will save a lot of time not having to create new, oddly-shaped shingles.
Being November, the weather is another issue but I think, based on long experience, that I can work through to January.
And. once again, thank goodness for audible books. My current read.
Your email address will NEVER be made public or shared, and you may use a screen name if you wish.