Refinishing the Kitchen Wainscoting. Part II.
Some of you have suggested using tung oil or stain. But, my goal is to recreate the lost original finish, and this was just orange shellac over bare wood. This was an inexpensive finish and thus appropriate for a room only used by servants.
The butler’s pantry was also painted. I was able to remove the paint and apply amber shellac, to great effect. There is no blotchiness. So, I did not expect the wainscoting to prove so difficult.
Some of you have suggested that I just move on. This has confused me. Anybody well acquainted with this blog knows that rushing through projects is soooooooooo not how I do things at the Cross House! Rather, doing things right is my goal. Doing things right fuels me. And I need endless refueling to keep going on the titanic-sized project.
With the wainscoting, I have been focused on getting this small sample area right. For, once I figure out how to achieve the look I want, all the rest should prove easier. Well, hopefully!
During the last month, I have worked less on the house than at any point during the previous seven years. In short, I have accomplished very little.
This is due to getting a blood clot in my left calf, and understanding the value of taking it easy for a bit. This is why I am not high up on the scaffolding redoing the gutter. And why I am not trying to replaster the ceiling in the Round Bedroom.
Instead, fussing with the wainscoting is not taxing. Ditto with restoring the Octagon Bedroom mantle.
It is now May, and the big priority will be to install a shower in my bathroom so Cody can stay in the house when he arrives for a visit on the 19th. But, Justin will be doing most of this work. The cat fence will also continue but this, too, is mostly Justin.
In the meantime, I will continue with non-taxing projects.
Your email address will NEVER be made public or shared, and you may use a screen name if you wish.